Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Banner Grabbing

From: Franck Veysset <franck.veysset () intranode com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:00:15 +0200

Sean,

You should have a look at NMAP+V.

Jay Freeman (saurik) has created Nmap+V, a patch that allows Nmap to
capture version numbers for numerous services.

More information available at:
ftp://ftp.saurik.com/pub/nmap/

-Franck

Sean Donner a écrit :

I think the one thing that this scanner is really missing is banner grabbing.  With this option implemented into
nmap, you could scan your network and see which services are giving up too much info, telnet is espeically guilty of
this. I would imagine that this option would not be too hard to implement, although it would require a full tcp
handshake and thus toss stealth scanning out the door with this on.  A good idea would to also send a "HEAD /
HTTP/1.0" command if a timeout occured while trying to grab a banner.  Im new to this mailing list, so im not sure if
this has been talked about before but I did not see it in any of the archives.  Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

--
Franck Veysset    --   http://www.INTRANODE.com
       Intranode Software Technologies

It is always possible to aglutenate multiple separate
problems into a single complex interdependent solution.
In most cases this is a bad idea. (RFC 1925)