Nmap Development mailing list archives

Libnet in nmap

From: "D." <dugely () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 01:14:48 -0700 (PDT)

nmap-devers,

I don't really think that it's necessary to bring
libnet into nmap. The only reason I can see for
it now is to support ARP scanning, which seems
like a bit of a waste if you ask me.

nmap could be recoded to use libnet instead of it's
own packet building functions, but it would take
a massive recoding effort for a questionable
amount of gain, I think.

Also, I don't want to see nmap dependant on more
librarys than it really needs to be. I don't know
how many times I've downloaded unix app X and been
told I need a dozen other librarys to run it.

"Don't do it the unix way, do it the right way."

:)

I suppose it could be welded into the nmap source
like libpcap, but the tarball is kinda big already...

On the plus side, though, using libnet in nmap
might be a way to concentrate portability efforts,
which would benefit everybody.

As it is, though, I don't really see much pressing use
for an ARP scan: certainly not enough to bring in
a whole library.

Doug