Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: fingerprint and port additions, question

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 21:59:00 -0800

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 04:06:29AM -0500, Jeremy M. Dolan wrote:

Fingerprint addition:

Submitted by: "Jeremy M. Dolan" <jmd () pobox com>
OS type: Copper Mountain Networks CopperEdge200 DSL Concentrator (Jan
13 2000, 21:27:54 build)

Thanks -- I have included this change for the next version of Nmap,
which should be out within a few weeks.

Some ports I'd like to see added to nmap-services:

These have been added as well.

Are there any plans for MSRPC support, like -sR does SunRPC? And will
nmap eventually (or is there another program, maybe) that will poke a
specific port sending commands and listening for responces to try and
tell what server is running? (Rather then guessing just based on port
number)

Unfortunately, even the SunRPC scanning doesn't seem to work in the
latest BETAs :(.  Fixing that for the next version is a high priority.
To probe specific ports for application info, check out Saurik's
Nmap+V patch (see
http://lists.insecure.org/nmap-dev/2001/Jul-Sep/0010.html ).  It works
well, and I hope to implement similar functionality in Nmap next year.
As far as MSRPC ... I probably won't touch that :).  But I'd strongly
consider integrating in a patch which ads that functionality :).

Cheers,
Fyodor