Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap +multiping

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:00:53 -0800

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 12:23:49AM -0500, Dion Stempfley wrote:

I was fighting with the most efficient methods to do host discovery, and
found that I occaissionally needed to use different tcp ports in tcp ping
scans to get really reliable results.

Cool!  This has been on my TODO list for a long time, but I haven't
had a chance to implement it cleanly.  I have also been using
multi-run approach of doing a "-sS -P0", plus potentially a "-PI" and
several with "-g" source ports such as 20,53,etc.  Then I merge the
results to determine the hosts that deserve the full "-P0 -sSU -p-"
treatment.  Clearly this is suboptimal.  I would accept a clean patch
for allowing multiport pings.  Ideally it should be well tested,
support all the ping types (-PT, -PB, -PS, etc), and have a reasonable
syntax.  Connect() support would be pretty useful as well.

So here is a hack to allow nmap to support multiple tcp probe ports during
scanning.

Did you remember to attach the patch or a URL to it?  If you did
attach it, maybe the content-type was wrong (this listserv bans many
application/* types, Word/Excel documents, etc).

The syntax is basically:

  nmap -PB -pR:22,23,53,80,443,T:1-1024 ...

Why not extend the current pingport system to allow a list of ports?
For example you can currently do "-PB80" or "-PS80".  How about just
allowing "-PS53,80,113"?

scanning.  Options such as idle scanning only use the first probe port
specified.

That sounds appropriate.

It seems to work, but has undergone limited testing.  If the general
consenus is that this is useful I will try to clean it up, and make it
integrate into the existing code more nicely.

Sure!  I'll bet many people would find it handy!

Cheers,
Fyodor