Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: beta29 on Darwin

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:12:38 -0700

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 02:50:59PM -0400, Paul Tod Rieger wrote:

2) but scanning more hosts just hangs
# nmap -vv -n -sS -O -p'80,139' 172.16.100.229-249

Hmm ... it would be interesting to know where it is hanging.  Could
you try adding "-d -d -d -d" to the results above and send me the
output?  Actually it would be nice if you could do that a few times so
that I can see any variance in where it "hangs".  Also, make sure you
wait a while (at least 10 minutes) to be differentiate between hanging
and just being really slow.  Also, check "top" to see if it is hogging
cpu time so we know whether it is stuck in a tight loop.

I suspect that problem is that pcap_next is not timing out (and is
blocking forever) on that platform, but more info will help diagnose the
problem.  On Linux I had to make some changes to Pcap to insure that
it does not block indefinitely.

Thanks,
-F