Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Detecting upstream filters

From: "Ryan Permeh" <ryan () eEye com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:29:29 -0800

one of the problems here is that there isn't nessecarily an icmp unreach
sent on a blocked port.  sometimes it just drops the packet and enters the
"filtered" state because no response was read.  this may not even work when
an intermediate decides to send an ICMP packet, because, if i remember
correctly, pcap filters are placed to collect input, and intermediates are
not in the filters collected.
Signed,
Ryan
eEye Digital Security Team