Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: nmap-2.54b5+V-CVS (I know... I know... BETA6...)

From: "Jay Freeman \(saurik\)" <saurik () saurik com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 19:56:22 -0500

Great, now I'm _two_ versions behind :).

Actually, moving the functions to a single new file doesn't really help what
I am doing :).  My goal is each scan function ends up in a seperate file,
and operate a little like modules.  Then, give them the ability to insert
portions of information into the output when they choose.  In general, I'm
going for a merging of my nmap++ codebase (which isn't on CVS, never got the
files finalized the way I wanted them, and it doesn't really do anything yet
anyway, just prints stuff like "-oS option" and "run scan now... please?"),
the one with the powerful module loader, runtime command-line option system,
cross-module memory storage system, etc. into nmap.  Trying to work towards
some middle ground :).

Right now, in CVS, I have a directory called "scans" which contains the
various major scan types:

anakrino (nmap+V's new application/library)
ident
ipproto
port
rpc

:which already contain the libtabular column output functions.  This is
where I hid all that output code that seems to have dissapeared entirely
from nmap.c.

There is also a folder, that isn't in CVS yet, called "port", which will
(not yet) contain specific information for:

bounce
os
pos
super

I have the files themselves (nothing in them except for standard header
stuff), will give it some more thought later (just want to make sure in my
mind I like the idea of calling the directory "port" and everything, I am
pretty sure I do so far) and possibly just commit them into CVS.

My goal ( still :) ) is to come up with a powerful, >> maintainable << way
of letting nmap have all sorts of scan types and different functionality.
My first step is to rip the command line processing and "this module
conflicts with this one" out of nmap.c, and into the scan modules files,
then working on getting the scans themselves in there.

Sincerely,
Jay Freeman (saurik)
saurik () saurik com