Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: XML Questions (and stuff)

From: "Stou Sandalski" <tangui () cell2000 net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:06:28 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Freeman (saurik) [mailto:saurik () saurik com]
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 08:59
To: Fyodor
Cc: Nmap-Dev
Subject: RE: XML Questions

Fyoder:

If push really comes to shove, you can just include XSLT files to
backtrack
through versions.  As long as the new file has at least as much
information
as the last one, you can just translate backwards.  Every time
the XML file
changes enough that existing parsers wouldn't be able to correctly read it
(changed existing tag/attribute name, no longer output a tag/attribute
clients require, or output strange values for attributes clients won't be
expecting, hopefully infrequent events) an XSLT file could be written to
convert back to the old version.  At this point, nmap really
could then ask
for what version of the file is wanted, and backtrack version by version
<snip>

I was thinking about something like that earlier this week but I couldn't
quite "formulate the unifing theory", anyway I think this would be a great
great thing to have... (assuming someone good at XML is down to do the
XSLTs)

About the output version attribute/tag (or value) whatever it becomes at the
end, I was thinking... it would be nice to have the version of the output be
represented by major.minor number, the major meaning things have changed in
the stream in such a way that existing apps won't be able to get it
(hopefuly if we do a good job on the structure this will never be
incremented hehe)... if the structure of the tags has changed dramaticaly...
where the minor meaning more tags or attributes have been added but all the
existing apps should be fine.. that would be good to have so the client app
can maybe notify the user that he/she is missing some info nmap generated
or... ?

Second thing, if nmap doesn't know what OS a host has, it dumps the
fingerprint allong with the output, what kind of tags should this have? it
would be nice if it has its own tags... so an app notifies the user (and
maybe even posts the fingerprint to the fingerprint cgi)... however the
fingerprint can just be put into a comment tag or one simple <fingeprint>
tag and still be able to automaticaly send it to Fydor (throught that nmap
fingerprint cgi thing)

any thoughts?

Stou