Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: XML Output Proposal

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:47:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Stou Sandalski wrote:

attribute), however just two things: as far as I know empty tags are defined
<tag/> not </tag>,

Oops.  I've changed that in my sample output.

and for some reason I can't quite understand (maybe
because of comment tags being -->) I get an error on this line:

<!-- Nmap run completed at Tue Aug 15 22:59:22 2000 -- 20 IP addresses (4
hosts up) scanned in 106 seconds -->

OK, I'll use a semi-colon instead.

About the changing, is it possible to somehow add an attribute or tag to the
document defining which version of the xml output structure

That is a great idea.  I always forget to version my formats :).  How
about:

<nmaprun args="-sT -I -sR -O -p- -oM /tmp/smploutput.mlog localhost"
         start="966401074" version="2.54BETA3" xmloutputversion="1.0" >

Are you planning to include this in a future beta release so
we can check out how it works maybe write some clients?

Yep.  I'm gonna send my sample to nmap-hackers today for last minute
feedback (that list is 50X as large as nmap-dev).  Then, if there seems to
be sufficient interest, I'll try to implement it very soon (maybe this
weekend).  Thats why I'm hoping people will send their feedback on the
proposed format now while it is easy to change.

Cheers,
Fyodor