nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should FCC look at SS7 vulnerabilities or BGP vulnerabilities

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 19:17:37 -0400

On 5/16/24 16:05, Josh Luthman wrote:
The FCC has spent the last several years hounding us voice providers over spam calls.  They've implemented laws.  They have required us to do paperwork.  Have they been successful in that task?

Now do you think they're going to properly understand what an SS7 or vulnerability is?

The FCC absolutely is going to have experts in house who know what SS7 is and who are likely aware of the basics of how it works and what vulnerabilities that might "obviously" lead to. Whether they have anyone in house who knows it in technical detail and would be able to audit it from a protocol and implementation level to come up with novel vulnerabilities or even really understand in detail how published vulnerabilities work is perhaps another matter, but they don't necessarily need that to come up with effective advisory guidelines or even mandatory regulations if they invite proper comment from the industry and review them.

Regulating the phone system is not exactly a new thing for the FCC, after all.

I think the issue with their lack of effectiveness on spam calls is due to the comparatively small number of players in the PSTN (speaking of both classic TDM and modern IP voice-carrying and signaling networks) world allowing lots of regulatory capture. That's going to keep the FCC from issuing mandatory rules much beyond what much of the industry is on the road to implementing already to keep their customers placated.

The Internet is at least a little different in that it is set up more as a system where every player has some degree of parity in operation regardless of their size or footprint, and the self-governance rulemaking is much more out in the open. I suspect that's why we've had some success with getting BGP security not just addressed in guidance but actually practically improved.

That self-governance and openness also improves the FCC's ability to gather information and I suspect also improves the quality and relevance of official public comments that they receive.

I do think the FCC should at least consider looking at SS7 security...and perhaps they should attempt to just get rid of it. It's really only relevant for legacy TDM networks at this point, from what I can tell, with essentially all modern IP voice-carrying networks instead using SIP. Maybe it's time for it to just die along with the TDM PSTN which a lot of states are essentially killing off by removing mandatory service offering, anyway.
--
Brandon Martin