nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alien Waves

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 06:38:44 +0200

On 5/13/24 05:32, Brandon Martin wrote:

I doubt that's changed given my dealings with them since (which have been fine, to be clear), but I can't be 100% sure.  I suspect they did at least turn up a few of them given that they went to the trouble of creating a full-fledged product for it.  Maybe they found out the hassle wasn't worth it?

The upfront cash you get is great to make the quarter's/year's number in one go, but after that, all you are earning is annual O&M, which is not a lot especially if you still have to spend quite a bit maintaining the outside plant. And once that spectrum is gone, you can't touch it again even if the customer you sold it to may not be using all of it at the time.

Electrical bandwidth is slow to shift, but it is stable monthly/quarterly revenue that you can bank a business plan on.

Mark.