nanog mailing list archives

Re: Networks ignoring prepends?

From: "Forrest Christian (List Account)" <lists () packetflux com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 13:34:12 -0700

I really really wish there were a couple of well-known and globally
respected communities which you could set to say either "this is a route of
last resort" or "this is my preferred route".

I feel like it would avoid many of us doing exactly what you're about to do
which is pollute the routing tables with extra, more specific routes to do
basic traffic engineering.  (Resulting in 3 routes where one would do).

I'm not talking fine level control here,  just being able to say "hey this
route is better than nothing,  but not much" or "treat this as backup".

I understand the resistance to honoring various route engineering tactics,
but being able to effectively do the exact same thing that announcing more
specifics does without having to resort to announcing more specifics would
be a good thing as far as the global bgp table size goes.