nanog mailing list archives

Re: Shared cache servers on an island's IXP

From: Jérôme Nicolle <jerome () ceriz fr>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:47:51 +0100

Hi Tom,

Le 18/01/2024 à 15:20, Tom Beecher a écrit :
Many CDNs have hardware options for self hosted caches. I think there would likely be concerns about <20G of connectivity to those caches though. With an incorrect setup, you could end up maxing out those links just with cache fill traffic itself.

In a case where these servers are on a dedicated network peering with the ISPs, I think it would be safe to throttle the sync feeds to not saturate actual uplinks.

At least, that we can do, but throttling uncached content to customers is forbidden (net neutrality).

Though Netflix is supposedly sending pre-loaded servers, and I think that - in this location - it's gonna mean a lot already. The quastion is : how would the servers peer with local ISPs.

Best regards,

--
Jérôme Nicolle
+33 6 19 31 27 14