nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 uptake (was: The Reg does 240/4)

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 23:18:55 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Herrin" <bill () herrin us>

From: "Justin Streiner" <streinerj () gmail com>
4. Getting people to unlearn the "NAT=Security" mindset that we were forced
to accept in the v4 world.

NAT doesn't "equal" security.

But it is certainly a *component* of security, placing control of what internal
nodes are accessible from the outside in the hands of the people inside.

Every firewall does that. What NAT does above and beyond is place
control of what internal nodes are -addressable- from the outside in
the hands of the people inside -- so that most of the common mistakes
with firewall configuration don't cause the internal hosts to -become-
accessible.

The distinction doesn't seem that subtle to me, but a lot of folks
making statements about network security on this list don't appear to
grasp it.

You bet.  I knew someone would chime in, but whether they'd be agreeing
with me -- as you are -- or yelling at me, wasn't clear.

It's a default deny (NAT) vs default allow (firewall) question, and
I prefer default deny -- at least inbound.  You *can* run NAT as default
deny outbound, too, but it's much less tolerable for general internet
connectivity -- in some dedicated circumstances, it can be workable.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com