nanog mailing list archives

Re: constant FEC errors juniper mpc10e 400g

From: Joel Busch via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:01:43 +0200

In my reading the 400GBASE-R Physical Coding Sublayer (PCS) always includes the FEC. This is defined in clause 119 of IEEE Std 802.3-2022, and most easily seen in "Figure 119–2—Functional block diagram" if you don't want to get buried in the prose. Nothing there seems to imply that the FEC is optional.

I'd be happy to be corrected though. It may well be that there is a method to reading these tomes, that I have not discovered yet. It is the first time I dove deep into any IEEE standard.

Best regards
Joel