nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lossy cogent p2p experiences?

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:12:27 +0900

Mark Tinka wrote:

Are you saying you thought a 100G Ethernet link actually consisting
of 4 parallel 25G links, which is an example of "equal speed multi
parallel point to point links", were relying on hashing?

No...

So, though you wrote:

>> If you have multiple parallel links over which many slow
>> TCP connections are running, which should be your assumption,
>> the proper thing to do is to use the links with round robin
>> fashion without hashing. Without buffer bloat, packet
>> reordering probability within each TCP connection is
>> negligible.
>
> So you mean, what... per-packet load balancing, in lieu of per-flow
> load balancing?

you now recognize that per-flow load balancing is not a very
good idea.

Good.

you are saying that.

See above to find my statement of "without hashing".

                                                Masataka Ohta