nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lossy cogent p2p experiences?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 05:27:40 -0700

On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 12:13 AM Masataka Ohta
<mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp> wrote:
William Herrin wrote:
That sounds like normal TCP behavior over a long fat pipe.

No, not at all. First, though you explain slow start,
it has nothing to do with long fat pipe. Long fat
pipe problem is addressed by window scaling (and SACK).

So, I've actually studied this in real-world conditions and TCP
behaves exactly as I described in my previous email for exactly the
reasons I explained. If you think it doesn't, you don't know what
you're talking about.

Window scaling and SACK makes it possible for TCP to grow to consume
the entire whole end-to-end pipe when the pipe is at least as large as
the originating interface and -empty- of other traffic. Those
conditions are rarely found in the real world.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin