nanog mailing list archives

Re: it's mailman time again

From: Jim Popovitch via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 13:19:46 -0400

On Sat, 2023-09-02 at 13:10 -0400, John Levine wrote:

It's like changing your password, it sort of made sense in the 1980s
when networks meant coax Ethernets and bored students could sniff
passwords, and now it's cargo cult security. These days the only
sniffable shared media left is passwordless wifi and even there as you
note, mail all goes through TLS tunnels.

Mail in transit is mostly TLS transport these days, BUT mail in storage
and idle state isn't always secured.  I'm sure that most any of us could
find a public s3 bucket with an mbox file on it if we cared to look.

-Jim P.