nanog mailing list archives

Re: Charter DNS servers returning invalid IP addresses

From: "J. Hellenthal via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:01:47 -0500

Maybe the site "has/had" a shopping cart infection at one point that has been found and eradicated at one point ?

On Oct 26, 2023, at 02:10, Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no> wrote:

"Jason J. Gullickson via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org> writes:

I've been working for a week or so to solve a problem with DNS
resolution for Charter customers for our domain bonesinjars.com.  I've
reached-out to Charter directly but since I'm not a customer I
couldn't get any help from them.  I was directed by a friend to this
list in hopes that there may be able to reach a Charter/Spectrum
engineer who might be able to explain and/or resolve this one.

A dig against Google's DNS servers correctly returns 4 A records:

dig bonesinjars.com 8.8.8.8

Guess you wanted

 dig bonesinjars.com @8.8.8.8

?

;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53) (UDP)

This is not 8.8.8.8

dig bonesinjars.com 24.196.64.53

still missing @

;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53)

This is not 24.196.64.53

Bjørn

--

J. Hellenthal

"You think it's the living who will have ultimate judgement over you because the dead will have no claim over your
soul. But you may be mistaken.*"