nanog mailing list archives

Re: 165 Halsey recurring power issues

From: Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:56:35 -0700

Bulk/high-volume hosting companies, dedicated server companies/small rack
unit count colocation operate on very thin margins. Unless a customer is
paying a LOT more per month they're not economically going to be connected
to true diverse A/B power.

In this case their use of the incorrectly-described A/B was probably
exclusively to handle the (not extremely rare) instances of rackmount
server power supply failures, to give each 1U or 2U size machine, or rack
of blades, two live power supplies with live power feeds. Nothing more
complicated than that.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 3:34 PM Aaron Wendel <aaron () wholesaleinternet net>