nanog mailing list archives

Re: Acceptance of RPKI unknown in ROV

From: Gaurav Kansal via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:50:56 +0530

On 20-Oct-2023, at 00:35, nanog () nanog org wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 at 11:56, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com <mailto:owen () delong com>> wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 at 11:46, Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org <mailto:nanog () nanog org>> wrote:
A question for network operators out there that implement ROV…

Is anyone rejecting RPKI unknown routes at this time?

I know that it’s popular to reject RPKI invalid (a ROA exists, but doesn’t match the route), but I’m wondering if
anyone  is currently or has any plans to start rejecting routes which don’t have a matching ROA at all?

This would be a bad idea and cause needless fragility in the network without any upsides.

I’m not intending to advocate it, I’m asking if anyone is currently doing it.

I’m not aware of anyone doing this, and have not heard operators express interest in doing this (probably because it
seems such an unpleasant concept).

Somewhat related:

I do know of operators that require a ROA (if it’s non-legacy space) during their customer onboarding process, for
example, in BOYIP for DIA cases.

In my region also, ISPs are asking valid ROAs before on-boarding users.

But those operators do not expect the ROA to continually exist after the provisioning has been completed
successfully. Making the continued availability of a route dependent on the continued validity of a ROA is where
friction starts to form.

Kind regards,

Job