nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using RFC1918 on Global table as Loopbacks

From: Aaron1 <aaron1 () gvtc com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:33:21 -0500

I carry public Internet routing in a vrf, and my loopback and internal IGP interfaces are in the master/default vrf

Aaron

On Oct 5, 2023, at 12:24 PM, Javier Gutierrez <GutierrezJ () westmancom com> wrote:

Hi,
I have recently encountered some operational differences at my new organization that are not what I have been exposed
to before, where the loopback of the core network devices is being set from RFC1918 while on the global routing
table. I'm sure this is not a major issue but I have mostly seen that ISPs use global IPs for loopbacks on devices
that would and hold global routing.
My question is, what is the most used or recommended way to do this, if I continue to use RFC1918 I will save some
very much desired public address space, but would this come back to bite me in the future?

Kind regards,

Javier Gutierrez,