nanog mailing list archives

Re: Best Linux (or BSD) hosted BGP?

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 06:14:52 +0200

On 5/9/23 00:03, Jeff Tantsura wrote:

Saying that IS-IS in FRR is broken is incorrect, that it is in many ways weird - no offense to folks who coded it :)
(especially if you have worked with commercial code bases), that it doesn’t scale/naive, missing features - for sure.
FRR runs today some of the biggest DCs in the world and is reasonably stable within the feature set used (RFC7938),
there’s interest in further IS-IS development - you could see some minor bug fixes/features coming from a particular
company, if you are interested - join them and work together.

When one can't get a base adjacency going, use of further features is rather pointless.

But again, it seems those running it on Linux have better luck than those on FreeBSD, so that is something to remember. We are a FreeBSD house. Our alternative is to use OSPF in Quagga and redistribute it into IS-IS. That works well. Would we like to use IS-IS natively? Sure. But the alternative has been working well for nearly 10 years.

FRR is an Open Source project, whining about missing features is not helpful, coding (or at least testing) and
contributing is.

I think we all appreciate how open source projects work. Calling out their limitations is as old as mailing lists. I don't code. I test a lot, and continue to test IS-IS in FRR on FreeBSD every year or so. I'll keep testing and giving feedback at least once or twice a year. If it's still broken, I'll call it out.

Mark.