nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC Chair Rosenworcel Proposes to Investigate Impact of Data Caps

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 07:44:54 +0200

On 6/19/23 14:56, Mike Hammett wrote:

You're assuming that an uncapped service is viable to offer. In many areas, it is. In many areas, it is not.

It is viable for mobile services, even though I think mobile operators have taken the model a little too far.

But for fixed line services, it is mainly used to print free money, or limit investment in the network. I'm okay with either model an operator chooses to take, because until someone else comes along to break capped services on fixed line, there isn't much anyone can do about it.

Mark.