nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10G CPE w/VXLAN - vendors?

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 07:42:15 +0200

On 6/14/23 22:06, Adam Thompson wrote:

The redundant links to the customer site that traverse independent underlay carriers, and in some cases, equal-cost paths that we want to load-balance across, are the hard part.  I’m not going to trust STP for that, and we aim for <3sec failover where we do have redundant paths.  ERPS can handle the failover, but not the load-balancing.  Any L2-over-L3 encapsulation protocol can handle the failover + ECMP features, but I need to do it at ~10G (~20G if ECMP) wire speed.

We use MPLS for this. We can have as many as 6 paths coming out of a single Metro-E node. MPLS will handle it just fine.

Any Layer 2 option won't work the way you want it... they are simply not built for that level of redundancy or load balancing.

We have not tried to do this with VXLAN, and don't intend to.

Mark.