nanog mailing list archives

Re: New addresses for b.root-servers.net

From: Jan Schaumann via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:01:33 -0400

Robert Story <rstory () ant isi edu> wrote:

USC/ISI is renumbering both its IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for
b.root-servers.net on 2023-11-27. Our new IPv4 address will be
170.247.170.2 and our new IPv6 address will be 2801:1b8:10::b.
USC/ISI will continue to support root service over our current IPv4 and
IPv6 addresses for at least one year (until 2024-11-27) in order to
provide a stable transition period while new root hints files are
distributed in software and operating system packages.

I know it says "at least", but support for the old
addresses for only one year seems like a very short
time in this context.  I hope USC/ISI will be able to
keep the old addresses functional for much longer.

-Jan