nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP range for lease

From: bzs () theworld com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:47:34 -0400

On July 5, 2023 at 19:06 nanog () nanog org (Owen DeLong via NANOG) wrote:
Karin,

Opinions regarding leasing vary throughout the industry. In my opinion, since
the shift to provider assigned addresses during the CIDR efforts in the mid
1990s, the majority of addresses have been leased in one form or another.

The only thing novel here is the leasing of addresses independent of
connectivity services. However, once the RIRs and their communities normalized
the sale of addresses through directed transfer policies, I think this was an
inevitable next step in the devolution of IPv4 into a monetized asset.

It doesn’t help that the earliest and most prolific adopters of this form of
leasing have been snowshoe spammers.

However, there are leasing agencies that insist on getting proper justification
from their customers and have strong anti-abuse policies. I would strongly
encourage you to seek out such an organization to partner with if you choose to
lease your addresses as there are a number of pitfalls you can encounter
otherwise.

Owen

That was so...responsibly put. I almost thought I wasn't on nanog!

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs () TheWorld com             | http://www.TheWorld.com