nanog mailing list archives

Re: ROV concern for hyper-specific prefixes (renamed from `Re: Smaller than a /24 for BGP?')

From: Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 09:39:09 -0500

- If origin makes a ROA only for covering prefix (say /24) then the /28
announcement would be considered invalid by ROV and (even more likely)
dropped. Also you get more instances of `invalid' announcements, making
adoption of ROVs and ROAs harder.

AS 10 creates an ROA for X.X.X.X/24 , maxLength 28. This means AS10 can
announce any /28 in that /24, and any validator should return valid. (This
ignores if the longer than /24s would be accepted by policy or not. )