nanog mailing list archives

RE: What are these Google IPs hammering on my DNS server?

From: Michael Hare via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 12:29:07 +0000

Damian-

Not Google or ISCs fault, our customers have made some decisions that have exasperated the issues.  By and away the
biggest problem facing my customers is that they have chosen a stateful border firewall that collapses due to session
exhaustion and they put everything, including aDNS, behind said firewall.  “If it hurts, don’t do it” comes to mind,
but out of my hands.

At quick glance following the ISC link I didn’t see the compute infrastructure [core count] needed to get 1Mpps.  There
is an obvious difference between 99% load of ~500rps and 1M, so we can maybe advise to not undersize ADNS if that's an
issue.

I'm an ISP engineer and am generally not the directly affected party, so I don't get to pick these implementation
details for my customers.  I appreciate the background and suggestions from you and others on this thread like Mark.
That's an interesting comment about DNSSEC that I hadn't considered.

-Michael