nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Books

From: Warren Kumari <warren () kumari net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:34:47 -0700

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 7:20 PM, Steven G. Huter <sghuter () nsrc org> wrote:

On 4/25/23 3:55 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:

It has been a couple of decades since I've done any BGP in anger, but it
looks like I will be jumping into the deep end again, soon, and I
desperately need to get up to speed again.

There seem to be a lot of good guides out there from Cisco, Juniper, and
the like, but naturally they are very product oriented. What I'm looking
for is more like the Stevens networking bibles (i.e.
"BGP Illustrated Vol I and II"). Something that covers more than just the
raw protocols, and includes things like RPKI. (The world sure has changed
since the last time I was doing this!)

Any/all suggestions welcome.

https://learn.nsrc.org/bgp

Yes, this. Much of it (all of it?) is presented by Philip Smith, and he's a
sufficiently entertaining speaker that it's worth watching even if you are
already a bgp "expert".

As for books — I used to buy a copy of "BGP4: Inter-Domain Routing in the
Internet" by John W Stewart for all of my new hires —
https://amzn.to/3VdqdfK . It's really short and sweet, and covers just the
stuff that you need to know. It is old at this point (1998!), but still
well worth the read.

Steve