nanog mailing list archives

Re: Announcement of Experiments

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 13:50:02 -0700

We are a group of researchers from the KTH Royal Institute of Technology
(Sweden).

Starting from May 9 until May 31, we plan to conduct a research study
involving AS-PATH poisoning to measure how reliable route collectors
are to report BGP poisoned routes.

We will use the PEERING Testbed [1] to announce the following two
prefixes:

 - 184.164.236.0/24

 - 184.164.237.0/24

for our AS-path poisoning experiments.

The above experimental prefixes do not host any production services,
hence user traffic will *not* be affected.

Furthermore, we will always start the AS-PATH with the correct ASN as the
origin.

Lastly, to keep the AS-PATH short, we will announce no more than four
Poisoned ASNs per announcement. The frequency of the announcements
will not exceed four per hour.

seems quite harmless.  though i am sure folk who do not really
understand AS_PATH will get their nickers in a twist.

randy