nanog mailing list archives

Re: Newbie x Cisco IOS-XR x ROV: BCP to not harassing peer(s) and upstream(s)

From: Lukas Tribus <lukas () ltri eu>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 21:36:36 +0200

On Wed, 11 May 2022 at 21:22, Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

On 5/11/22 10:53 AM, Job Snijders via NANOG wrote:
This knob slightly increase your own memory consumption, but makes your
router more “neighbourly”! :-)

I question how accurate "slightly" is.

My understanding is that soft reconfiguration inbound (whatever the
syntax for a given IOS is) causes a full copy of the received prefix
list to be retained in memory for each of the peers with soft
reconfiguration enabled.

So, to me, the amount of impact to memory will be based on both the
number of prefixes advertised and the number of peers that soft
reconfiguration is enabled on.

Please enlighten me if I'm wrong / misunderstanding something.

True and the amount of memory used per prefix also depends on things
like BGP communities.

When I tested this, on 32 bit XR I had a memory increase of about 400
MB for a full feed 2 years ago.

But with or without soft-reconfig inbound always, your memory usage
increases with more prefixes. I don't see any drastic change in
scaling numbers because of this on today's HW.

Lukas