nanog mailing list archives

Re: Useful ping targets for end-users?

From: Dave Taht <dave.taht () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 07:46:49 -0800

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 7:37 AM Adam Thompson <athompson () merlin mb ca>
wrote:

Before you start reading, yes, I fully understand how silly this question
is.  But I need to give _*something*_ to a customer who has the ability
to run ping/traceroute but nothing else.  (And they have an intermittent
latency problem that we haven’t been able to isolate yet.)

Over on this enormous thread, a gang of dedicated openwrt developers have
been attempting to build an automated latency with load sensing tool
leveraging sch_cake, currently targetted at LTE. They've released a few
versions of the tool in lua and shell, so far.

Among other things, they've discovered that icmp type 13 (with a timestamp)
actually works in many cases, and have a curated list mechanism, and
means to kick out  and cope with various forms of responders.

Does anyone curate a list of “useful” ICMP responders that are at least
kinda-sorta reliable/expected to continue responding?  For example, all the
major anycast DNS cloud providers respond to ICMP, but I don’t really want
to tell my customer to ping an anycast IP address because the RTT results
will be useless data (for comparative purposes).

I’m also not excited about providing random router IP address for what
should be obvious reasons.  There are some IPs that my routing paths that
should be stable, but between routing changes and control-plane policing,
those aren’t awesome.  I’m looking for IPs I can suggest that are well
outside my network.

Restatement: yes, there are much better ways to diagnose problems, but my
customer can only run ping & traceroute (and pathping, I suppose) and is
capable enough to run those tools and self-assess before calling me.

It sounds foolish to even ask, but maybe there’s a resource out there I
don’t know about…

-Adam

*Adam Thompson*
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[image: MERLIN]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athompson () merlin mb ca
www.merlin.mb.ca

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC