nanog mailing list archives

Re: What do you think about the "cloudification" of mobile?

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:56:36 -0800

On 1/25/22 11:44 AM, Matthew Petach wrote:

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 10:11 AM Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:

    [...]

    Since everybody has their own wifi it seems that federating all of
    them
    for pretty good coverage by a provider and charging a nominal fee to
    manage it would suit a lot of people needs. It doesn't need expensive
    spectrum and the real estate is "free". Basically a federation of
    "guestnets".

    Mike

Which is pretty much what Xfinity is already offering
to their subscribers; use your xfinity login to get onto
the wifi access points of other xfinity users all around
the country, relatively seamlessly.

I'm sure other networks that provide their own CPE are
likely to follow suit as well.

What I was thinking of is more of "over the top" where I don't need to be an Xfinity customer (lot least of which is that I can't).

It does seems that providing the CPE is inevitable though, but for a lot of people that's feature not a bug.

Mike