nanog mailing list archives

Re: Geoip database update

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 12:54:26 -0500

I've been waiting for some updates since September, there are good and reputable geoIP services that accept updates and
those that refuse to acknowledge issues or have no way to update.

Some of the financial institutions and government agencies are examples of bad consumers of them, but it's not limited
to them.

If you run a service or engage in geo blocking because of licensing or something else, provide an internal escalation
path for the customer to have you contact the ISP, or compare the data with published Geofeeds or similar.

The issue is even with ARIN 4.10 space that was previously unused.

- Jared

Sent via RFC1925 compliant device