nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yet another BGP hijacking towards AS16509

From: Job Snijders via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 23:42:54 +0200

Hi Douglas, group,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 03:03:31PM -0300, Douglas Fischer wrote:
I was thinking a little about this case...

I'm almost certain that this case cited by Siyuan would have been
avoided if there was a cross-check between the items contained in the
AS-SET objects (and others such as the Route-Set), and the "member-of"
attributes of the referred objects.

You are right that stronger 'arcs' ("connections") between the various
IRR objects at first glance potentially offer a solution; unfortunately
the objects exist in separate databases ("namespaces"), one has to be
cautious for object name collisions!

Cross-references (through "member-of:" <> "members:" links) for RPSL
objects only work within a single IRR source, in other words: if objects
exist in the same database. An object in one database can't reference
(through 'member-of:') an object in a different database.

I participated in a small exchange of ideas about this, and there were
questions about whether this crosscheck should be done by the consumer
of the IRR data, or if it should be validated at the time of insertion
in the base through NRTM.

As far as I understand the data model, only the ultimate consumer of IRR
data would be in a position to enforce some kind of policy (such as
requiring cross-references both ways 'members:' <> 'member-of:'); the
middle layer (software packages like IRRD) lack context.

I know of examples where fairly robust RTBH filters were generated using
members:/member-of pairing as a prerequisite; but I'm not aware of a
"cross-RIR" solution.

Kind regards,

Job