nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 woes - RFC

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 21:48:20 -0700

On 9/18/21 8:58 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
I haven’t tried the PTR thing yet, but I do have a small business client that has AT&T business internet and they were able
to get a static /56 (For some reason, AT&T refused to do a /48, but we did push them on it.)

When I checked, there were NO options for ANY static IPv6. Perhaps the devil is in the details of my particular "business Internet" package. If "package" is the right term; I use them only for upstream connectivity and rental of IP (and IPv6) addresses.

If it turns out they won’t do PTR or more likely NS for our ip6.arpa zone, then we’ll probably start looking for an alternative provider

That's the problem with a facilities-based ISP, there are no alternative providers. Oh, sure, I could get Spectrum here. Indeed, I had a circuit: when I had their business service I had even more problems with them than I do with this one.

or get an HE /48 over a tunnel which will do PTR or NS records appropriately.

Hurricane Electric? Seriously? I had them when I was working at a web host company quite a while ago. Have they improved their service desk? The downside is that I would have a serial pair of points of failure for my connectivity.

IPv6 was supposed to SOLVE the problems, not create more problems.

I look back longingly to that product from the 80s:  Internet-in-a-box.

I also remember the birth of Interop, when I visited Telebit at a session to work out the interoperability snags in PPP implementations among a handful of vendors.