nanog mailing list archives

Re: S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

From: Matthew Walster <matthew () walster org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 20:00:50 +0100

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021, 19:28 Fred Baker, <fredbaker.ietf () gmail com> wrote:

I’m not sure I disagree, but let throw in a point of consideration.
Historically, as you note, the caller pays the toll. However, the caller
also CHOSE to call, even though the called party might find the call
irritating. With a CDN, the network is out there hoping to be called, and
the user makes that choice, “calling” the CDN. Could it not be accurately
said that the user originated the “call”?

Yes. The caller is the person at home, the called party is the CDN. Without
the CDN, it then becomes a trunk call.

I'm deliberately ignoring the fact that the connection initiation goes in
one direction and the bulk of the traffic flow goes the other way --
because it wouldn't go at all if it wasn't called up to be requested.
Like... The speaking clock I guess. My analogy long since broke down.