nanog mailing list archives

Internet history

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 11:37:36 -0700

[changed to a more appropriate subject]

On 10/20/21 3:52 PM, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:
On 10/20/21 3:26 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
Just as an interesting aside if you're interested in the history of networking, When Wizards Stayed Up Late is quite elucidating.

+10 to Where Wizards Stay Up Late.

I recently re-acquired (multiple copies of) it.  (Multiple because I wanted the same edition that I couldn't locate after multiple moves.)

One of the things about the book was that it finally confirmed for me what I had heard but thought might be apocryphal which was that one of my co-workers at Cisco (Charlie Klein) was the first one to receive a packet on ARPAnet. I guess it sent an "l" and then immediately crashed. They fixed the problem and the next time they got "login:". It also casts shade on another early well known person which gives me some amount of schadenfreude.

Mike