nanog mailing list archives

Re: S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 20:11:15 +0200

On 10/12/21 18:33, Sabri Berisha wrote:

Yes, let's go back to 2003. The ISP I worked for at that time was one of
the first in the country (if not the first) to host Akamai's caching servers.

Ten years later I worked on a project where Akamai caching was embedded in
subscriber management routers. It was announced, but never productized. This
concept would have brought caching as close to the subscriber as possible.

Today, with the widespread use of HTTPS, something like this is just not
feasible.

Yes, the utility of Squid and similar local caching servers became less helpful as objects got more dynamic. This exacerbated as traffic shifted over to tcp/443.

Then the CDN's started shipping content closer and closer to eyeballs, and that has generally become the norm over the past decade.

I'm not sure anyone still using Squid & Friends is seeing net gains with that model, particularly with a major CDN likely being close by.

Mark.