nanog mailing list archives

Re: S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

From: Geoff Huston <gih () apnic net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 22:31:05 +0000

On 11 Oct 2021, at 7:18 am, Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa> wrote:

On 10/10/21 22:10, Geoff Huston wrote:

I have to agree with Doug Barton's earlier observation is that the base problem is that the ISPs are using a flawed
business model and they don't want to charge their customers what it really costs to provide them with high speed
access, nor do they want to fund additional back-end capacity in their network without some form of offset revenue
stream.

I think ISP's do want to charge their customers what it actually costs to provide them with a service, but they can't
because many ISP's business models are based purely on undercutting their nearest competitor.

I might be naive and hopeful to think that operators will have a blood handshake to set prices where customers can't
wag the tail.

In many environments, the words we use to describe this form of price setting are generally prefixed by the adjective
“illegal” :-)

Geoff