nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS pulling BGP routes?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 13:03:52 -0400

(I'm going to hate myself in the morning, but)

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 10:22 AM Masataka Ohta <
mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp> wrote:

William Herrin wrote:

https://engineering.fb.com/2021/10/05/networking-traffic/outage-details/

    our DNS servers disable those BGP advertisements if they
    themselves can not speak to our data centers

    The end result was that our DNS servers became unreachable
    even though they were still operational.

means their DNS servers were serving the zone, even after
they recognize their zone data were too old, that is, expired.

that's not what this means. I think Mr. Petach previously described this,
but:
  1) dns server in pop serves some content (ttls aren't important right now)
  2) dns server uses some quagga/gated/bird/etc to announce locally: "Hey,
foo/32 here!"
      (imagine this triggers an 'aggregate route' or 'network statement'
(pick your vendor solution) to appear in the global table)
  3) dns server also 'ping backend server set'
  4) when 3 fails for X period of time 'tell quagga/bird/etc to stop
announcing the /32'

then the local pop no longer sources the aggregate (/24 or /23 or
whatever)... so traffic SHOULD (externally)
flow toward another copy of the /23 or /24 or whatever...

there's not a lot of magic here... and it's not about the zone data really
at all.