nanog mailing list archives

Re: What Eyeballs Did During The Facebook Nap

From: Steven Bakker via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 14:34:08 +0000

Hi Mark,

On Fri, 2021-10-08 at 16:18 +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
Could Netflix, perhaps, play a part in mitigating the increasing impact of social media addiction in teenagers, whose
young brains aren't developed enough to have sufficient executive control, impulse control and good judgement?

My inner cynic is interpreting this data a bit differently. Instead of going out for a walk or just engage in the
gentle art of doing nothing, the social media users need something to keep their minds distracted from the here and
now. Anything to avoid having to do any kind of self-reflection or, heaven forbid, live in the moment. And I fear that
it doesn't apply to adolescents only...

Best,

Steven