nanog mailing list archives

Re: Facebook post-mortems...

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 10:20:27 -0700

On 10/5/21 12:17 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
On 5. Oct 2021, at 07:42, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 6:15 PM Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:
They have a monkey patch subsystem. Lol.
Yes, actually, they do. They use Chef extensively to configure
operating systems. Chef is written in Ruby. Ruby has something called
Monkey Patches.
While Ruby indeed has a chain-saw (read: powerful, dangerous, still the tool of choice in certain cases) in its toolkit
that is generally called “monkey-patching”, I think Michael was actually thinking about the “chaos monkey”,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_engineering#Chaos_Monkey
https://netflix.github.io/chaosmonkey/

No, chaos monkey is a purposeful thing to induce corner case errors so they can be fixed. The earlier outage involved a config sanitizer that screwed up and then pushed it out. I can't get my head around why anybody thought that was a good idea vs rejecting it and making somebody fix the config.

Mike