nanog mailing list archives

Re: Facebook post-mortems...

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:40:39 +0200

On 10/5/21 15:04, Joe Greco wrote:

You don't think at least 10,000 helpdesk requests about Facebook being
down were sent yesterday?

That and Jane + Thando likely re-installing all their apps and iOS/Android on their phones, and rebooting them 300 times in the hopes that Facebook and WhatsApp would work.

Yes, total nightmare yesterday, but sure that 9,999 of the helpdesk tickets had nothing to do with DNS. They likely all were - "Your Internet is down, just fix it; we don't wanna know".

There's something to be said for building these things to be resilient
in a manner that isn't just convenient internally, but also externally
to those people that network operators sometimes forget also support
their network issues indirectly.

I don't disagree with you one bit. It's for that exact reason that we built:

    https://as37100.net/

... not for us, but specifically for other random network operators around the world whom we may never get to drink a crate of wine with.

I have to say that it has likely cut e-mails to our NOC as well as overall pain in half, if not more.

Mark.