nanog mailing list archives

Re: New minimum speed for US broadband connections

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 06:43:12 +0200

On 6/1/21 01:54, Tim Burke wrote:

With that said, if there needs to be regulation on minimum broadband speeds, should there be regulation to require home ISPs to provide high-end 802.11ax-capable network gear, so the average clueless home user with a 1gbps FTTP connection can actually use the service they’re paying for?

I think having a half-decent home network goes beyond running the latest and greatest 802.11 standard.

I spend quite a bit of time helping folk fix up their home networks, and the things I see make me wonder how ISP's are still in business (mostly because the home networks are so badly strung, you can be guaranteed there is a phone call going to the ISP every hour).

Wireless meshing and/or wireless boosters have only compounded the problem. The general approach is to spend as little as possible for the home network, and expect the AP/router to work from the day you had ADSL to the day you get Gig-E FTTH, including after you add more walls, doors and beams during your lockdown renovation hobbies.

I agree that sufficient attention needs to be paid toward the home network. But simply throwing an 802.11ax AP/router at the site does not guarantee success.

Mark.