nanog mailing list archives

QUIC, Connection IDs and NAT

From: Robert Brockway <robert () timetraveller org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 13:14:53 +1000 (AEST)

QUIC has Connection IDs independent from IP. This was done to make it easier to move from one IP network to another while keeping connections active, as most here will know.

Does the existence of Connection IDs separate from IP mean that the host/IP contention ratio in CGNAT can be higher? IE, can a single CGNAT device provide Internet access for a greater number of end-users?

And if so, does this reduce demand on IPv4 resources?

It's ok, I'm wearing a fire-resistant suit with self-contained breathing apparatus as I type this.

Rob