nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Re: Younger generations preferring social media(esque) interactions.

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 17:14:24 +0200

On 3/24/21 17:08, Phineas wrote:

Chiming in as a somewhat-younger network engineer here (19) - I think that Discord should be more widely considered and approved as an option across the board here. I’m active on mailing lists, and while they work, at the end of the day I’d much rather be using an app like Discord, and I know this is true for a lot of the next generation of net engineers.

The costs (main one is federation/lock-in?) outweigh the benefits entirely:
- Clear and organized channels of communication
- Threads (coming soon, which will help a lot for communities like NANOG)
- Moderation bots
- Roles that allow people interested in certain topics to join the channels they care about

In terms of platform lock-in; I know some of the higher up team there pretty well and I know they’d welcome us with open arms and be happy to answer any questions or solve issues we’re having. There are also bots that allow you to export entire channel histories live or for archive.

As much as my life would be over the day this happens, I completely accept that this is where it has to go, if we want to engage with the up & coming blood.

Ultimately, our main interest is to keep this thing going, long after we've all ran through the vineyards on our way to eternity :-).

Mark.