nanog mailing list archives

Re: New minimum speed for US broadband connections

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 11:10:48 +0200

On 6/2/21 11:04, Owen DeLong wrote:

I disagree… If it could be forced into a standardized format using a standardized approach to data acquisition and
reliable comparable results across providers, it could be a very useful adjunct to real competition.

If we can't even agree on what "minimum speed for U.S. broadband connections" actually means, fat chance having a "nutritional facts" at the back of the "Internet in a tea cup" dropped off at your door step.

I'm not saying it's not useful, I'm just saying that easily goes down the "what color should we use for the bike shed" territory, while people in rural America still have no or poor Internet access.

Mark.