nanog mailing list archives

Re: shadowserver.org

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 16:04:32 -0700

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 2:02 PM Doug McIntyre <merlyn () geeks org> wrote:

I'd say my public facing servers are under constant attack of some level
of utility.

Ie. my honeypot email servers collect 100k+ connections a day each,
that don't have any MX pointing to them, their only sin is being up and
listening to port 25. They can't process a single email in or out.

...the way I know to check if my DNS, SSH, or SMTP daemons have died and
need
to be restarted is if the steady stream of syslog messages from probes
suddenly
goes quiet.

I thought it was rather nice of the Internet to provide 24/7 distributed
service
availability monitoring for me.  No more having to pay Keynote to poke my
ports every 15 minutes!   ;)

Matt